Friday, June 13, 2008

SIGH. SIGH. SIGH.

Found this clip on YouTube. It was sent to me by my friend Maricel from Museo Pambata. It's a short travelogue done in 1938 called "Manila. Queen City of the Pacific". It shows footage of an intact Intramuros, a pre-bombed out Rizal Avenue with it's tram system, a pre-bombed out Jones Bridge, a tree lined Taft Avenue, and the majestic former San Francisco Church. Sigh. I know. Looking at footage like this makes me feel a tinge of sadness about the glory we lost thanks to war and neglect. But on the other hand, it also makes me hopeful simply because it shows the standard that which we all should aspire - a civilized, multifaceted, multicultural Manila for all. Learn more about the filmmaker, Andre de la Varre here.


This one is by William M. Pizor as part of the "Port O' Call" series. It's called"Castillian Memories". It's a bit condescending but nevertheless, it's still fantastic rare footage of Old Manila.