Monday, September 08, 2008

BACK IN THE GROOVE...

I'm back in the pink of health. And man, did it take a while. After a full week of rest, steroids, anti-biotics, paracetamol, peipakua, African sea coconut tonic, and a trip to Corregidor to recuperate, my voice is back and the infections and fevers are gone. A million thanks to everyone out there who sent me their best wishes.

I did notice, however, while on a trip downtown to Ongpin to buy medicine, that there is construction activity going on at the former Citibank headquarters by the Pasig River. It seems that the broken windows have all been removed and some scaffolding put around the ground floor. Now, is this a good sign or not? After surviving World War II and "development" for the last eighty years or so (below in the 1920's and 1950's), I hope they aren't going to tear the poor thing down like both the Deluxe and Avenue theaters.

Hopefully, the Citibank building will go the way of the Philtrust Building on Plaza Moraga, which is now being restored and repainted to it's former glory. I can't wait to see what the result will be like. I never liked Philtrust and it's owner Don Emilio Yap's attitude towards heritage structures (his defacement and desecration of the Manila Hotel is simply criminal) but this project, I'll give him props for.

Give me a little time to get back on track with the blog though. I shall be posting the winners of the HAPPY FEET contest in the next few days.

Cheers folks.